We are dedicated, capable BC real estate lawyers
Whether you are buying, selling, or refinancing a property, your real estate lawyer will play a crucial role. An experienced conveyancing lawyer will protect your interests, help you avoid surprises, and ensure that your real estate transaction goes as smoothly as possible.
At Invicta Law Corporation, we are dedicated to providing our real estate clients with trusted advice and hands-on, professional service. Real estate transactions can be complex. We are here to guide you through every stage, from start to finish. If you are a first-time buyer, seasoned property owner, or somewhere in between, Invicta Law Corporation is ready to assist you with:
- The purchase or sale of residential property (e.g., a house, townhouse, condominium, duplex, or mixed-use property);
- New mortgages and mortgage refinancing;
- Commercial purchases; and
- Commercial leases.
Our real estate law services
Each real estate transaction is unique. We pride ourselves on providing customized service to our clients. Depending on your needs and the nature of the transaction, our real estate conveyancing services may include:
- Drafting, reviewing and providing legal advice on the Contract of Purchase and Sale.
- Conducting title searches and investigating any encumbrances on title that may impact the transaction, such as existing mortgages, outstanding taxes, covenants, construction liens, judgments, easements, rights of way, permits, or other charges.
- Receiving mortgage instructions and ensuring that financing conditions are met.
- Drafting conveyancing documents, determining closing costs, and preparing the Statement of Adjustments.
- Advising on the legal implication of types of ownership (freehold, leasehold, strata title, cooperative) and determining the appropriate form of ownership for taking title (joint tenants vs. tenants in common).
- Reviewing all relevant strata documentation to gather information about the strata corporation, confirm that strata fees are up to date, and uncover details of any special assessments or other levies that are outstanding or upcoming.
- Meeting with you to review all of the conveyancing paperwork and answer your questions.
- Securing title insurance to protect you from risks such as fraud and hidden defects on title.
- Explaining the BC Property Transfer Tax (PTT) and exploring ways to reduce or eliminate property tax payable (e.g., First Time Home Buyers’ Program; Newly Built Home Exemption; various Family Exemptions).
- Advising on special considerations for non-resident buyers and sellers, such as the Foreign Buyers Property Transfer Tax, obtaining clearance certificates from Canada Revenue Agency for non-resident sellers, and income tax issues that may arise from ownership of BC rental properties by non-residents.
- Ensuring registration of the property conveyance deed and mortgage documents with the Land Title Office on closing.
- Paying and receiving funds to purchase property, discharge mortgages, satisfy liens or outstanding property taxes, pay commission to realtors, disbursements, etc.
- Confirming that clear title to the property is transferred at the close of the transaction.
Contact Invicta Law Corporation today for dependable, responsive help.
New Land Owner Transparency Registry in Force Beginning on November 30, 2020
Now for any application to register or transfer an interest under the Land Title Act, a “transparency declaration” must be filed, otherwise, the Registrar of Land Titles will decline to register or transfer.
Continue Reading New Land Owner Transparency Registry in Force Beginning on November 30, 2020
New Commercial Rent Relief Program for Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
New Commercial Rent Relief program announced Oct 9 by the Department of Finance Canada, the “Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy” (CERS) for rent and mortgage support for organizations affected by COVID-19.
Continue Reading New Commercial Rent Relief Program for Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
Tax Tips for Foreign Purchasers Buying Property in Canada
When investing in Canadian real estate, there are important tax implications if you are a foreign buyer that should factor into your decision and how you structure the purchase.
Continue Reading Tax Tips for Foreign Purchasers Buying Property in Canada
BC Property Transfer Tax and Exemptions
Property transfer tax is often the largest closing cost when you buy a home in BC. Plan ahead for it and consider eligibility for exemptions.