Due to COVID-19, applicants may be eligible to apply for a one-time open work permit of up to 18 months if one applies by July 27, 2021.
Eligibility: Must meet all of the following 5 requirements
- Post Graduate Work Permit which
- Has expired on or after January 30, 2020; OR
- Will expire within 4 months from the date of when you apply for this public policy
- You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, which was when the public policy was released, and have stayed in Canada since then.
- You either have:
- A valid temporary resident status which could be a valid PGWP or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada such as a visitor record; OR
- Expired temporary resident status but you have applied for a restoration or it is currently in process
- Expired temporary resident status but you will apply for a restoration at the same time as when you apply for this open work permit
- Mention in your application that you are applying for an open work permit under this public policy
- You have a valid passport – important because the supposed open work permit if approved will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval. Otherwise, it will be issued until the expiry of your current passport.